Restore Default Network Name In Windows 7



I don't know the exact title should I put, I hope the title above is correct and relevant to the following articles. Last night, I have plugged my computer with a spare ADSL modem because the modem that I usually use went a little bit dizzy on connections lately.

Once finished with the configuration, I went to 'Network and Sharing Center' to check the status of connection, I noticed that the network name has changed and listed with a number. Seems like, when I plug in another ADSL modem, Windows will register it as a new network.



Yes, I can rename it with any names but not to the default name which is 'Network' (without the number next to it). The 'Network' name has been registered to my previous ADSL modem and I can only rename this connection with the name other than 'Network'.

Here is what I did to get back the default name:

1. Power off the ADSL modem.
2. Go to Registry Editor. Click Start > Run > regedit > Enter.
3. Navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles
4. Expand the 'Profiles' folder, click on each sub-folder to find a 'ProfileName' with the data named 'Network'. That is the old registered network.



5. Delete the whole folder (pointed by arrow above).
6. Next sub-folder should be the 'Network 2' folder, click on the folder, double click the 'ProfileName' and change the value to Network and click 'OK'.



7. Then, go to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Wpad
8. Expand the 'Wpad' folder, find the sub-folder that contains 'WpadNetworkName' with the data named 'Network' and delete the whole folder.



9. Next to it normally the folder of 'Network 2', double click the 'WpadNetworkName' and change the value to Network and click 'OK'.



10. Exit Registry Editor, power on the ADSL modem and when the connection established, here is the result:



Yes, the network name is back to default.

There is no harm to leave whatever names listed in the Network and Sharing Center, but for me, I prefer default, it looks better ...

Enjoy reading ...

1 Comment:

  1. Thanks for this post! Althought this isn't a big deal, as said before... it was really annoying me and here was the unique place that I found the solution. Thanks!
    (Arthur Cavalcante from Brazil)

    ReplyDelete